Artist's Statement

I earned a Bachelor Degree in advertising, and then worked in Bangkok for seven years as an advertising officer, marketing officer, and public relations officer. During work, I had the chance to converse with many artists in the advertising area. Their works made me wonder about the way in which they created so many wonderful pictures on the computer. My curiosity pushed me to take computer graphic classes. I started to seriously practice how to use graphic software to acheive specific results.

Luckily, in 1995, Sahaviriya System Company Limited, an Apple Computer Distributer, hired me to work in the advertising department. My four years at this company helped me learn a lot more about both software and hardware skills. After that, I decided to freelance and create various works, such as posters, brochures, and desktop publishing designs. From this, I acquired a lot more experience in computer graphic and printing procedures. However, something was missing. I found out that I did not have enough skills in the fine arts to work as a graphic designer. My artworks did not look nice in terms of color, composition, and art elements. I needed an art school; particularly, I needed to gain experience from a country different than Thailand.

In 2002, I decided to come to the United States. I started learning about fine arts majoring graphic arts at Long Beach City College. Then, I found out that animation is very fascinating because it contains all art elements and skills; for instance, drawing, painting, design, modeling, texturing, timing, pacing, sound, music, and visual effects. I finally transfered to California State University Fullerton toward animation and entertainment arts major. These schools have helped me a lot. I found a big difference between my past art works and my present artworks. For instance, without any art skill, I picked color just because I liked it or my customers liked it. Now that I have developed an artistic criteria, I make more sophisticated decisions when picking color. I have improved my drawing skill. I am more concerned about color, texture, line, value, space, and composition. Now, I know what the artist must consider when they design their works and this is reflected in my own work.

In my own work, I really enjoy drawing and painting with the computer. I like to deal with color, negative space, organic and geometric shapes, and representation. Also 3D modeling and texturing are becoming my solid skill. However, there are a lot of things in the art world that I have to learn. Today is just the beginning. I realize that I have a long way to go. The reality of the art world is a lot bigger than I thought. At least, at the present time, I am on the right track and doing what I love to do.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Motion Graphics

My first After Effects work. I heard about this software for long time but did not realize how much this software can do. Now i really like it.

2 comments:

may said...

Cool!!!

KiJeon Nam said...

Hey, O... *Faints*
Really impressive text animation. Puts my work to shame. You should have Christian pay you to allow him to use it as an official advertisement for his Motion Graphics class. =P